This week on the Fit is Freedom Podcast, I have the pleasure of being joined by the incredibly knowledgeable and passionate Dr. Mimi Secor!
Join us as Mimi shares her journey into the health and fitness world at a time when she truly didn’t believe she had ANY time to give in her life. With our combined passions of everything health and fitness along with helping women, we’ll also discuss some incredibly important topics plaguing us women as we age, including:
- Taking care of yourself
- Finding your tribe
- Dealing with and preventing aches and pains
- Anti-Diet Culture
- And so much more!
Listen to the full podcast episode below!
Or Watch the Video on YouTube!
- The Mindset of a Champion: Interview with Lesley McShane – Episode 202
- Ask Me Anything: Fitness Mindset, Adventure & the Negative Voice that Pops Up! – Episode 201
- Get Fit with The Habit Guru – Lorrie Mickelson – Episode 200
- Take Action to Get Fit: Interview with Lindsey House, Accountability Coach – Episode 199
- Summer Stars – Mind, Body, Kitchen Author Stacey Crew – Episode 198
Ready for easy Fitness Consistency, Accountability & Community?
we’re on fire…🔥🔥
All About Mimi
Mimi is a force to be reckoned with! She has over 45 years of experience as a Nurse Practitioner and has always had a knack for helping other women. At the age of 59, she decided to go for her doctorate instead of preparing for retirement. This was one of the toughest decisions but also the biggest life-changing decision.
In the throws of her doctoral program, she found inspiration from her daughter, who literally got Mimi off her feet and into a gym. Once Mimi started taking care of herself, thanks to the not-so-subtle nudging of her daughter, she realized how much her life and her body were improving.
Since that life changing moment, Mimi has competed in multiple body-building competitions. She works alongside her daughter to help other women achieve their long-term fitness goals and has even written a bestselling book!
Tips from the Doctor
Throughout the podcast, we discuss a variety of topics. Here are some of the top tips from Dr. Mimi Secor…
Take Care of Yourself
Self-care is quite the buzzword these days, but it is so important to take care of yourself. As a general rule, the more stressed you are, the more you need to be doing to take care of yourself.
Of course, there are all kinds of things you can do to take care of yourself, but here are some of the easiest to implement quickly..
- Speak kindly to yourself
- Drink water and stay hydrated
- Get enough sleep
- Move your body
- Get outside
- Do something you enjoy
Find Your Tribe
Women have to consider all kinds of factors when they are trying to make lifelong positive changes. Choosing your tribe may be one of them. Do you have people who pressure you to eat in ways you don’t feel will fuel your body properly? Do you have people who aren’t encouraging of your new health habits?
It’s important to surround yourself with a tribe that has similar values. Maybe you could find a group that enjoys hikes or walks in the afternoon. Maybe there’s a particular friend of yours who enjoys reading inspirational biographies. The point is…be intentional with whom you surround yourself. It’s really important!
Aches and Pains
We all get them from time to time. Waking up sore and bending over to pick something up, only to feel a twinge in your back. As we age, this has the potential to become more and more common, but it doesn’t necessarily have to be. Here are some things you can do that can keep your body flexible, agile, and prepared as you start aging…
Both Mimi and myself despise diets. I mean, it literally has the word “die” in it! What we do support is optimizing your health in a way that is sustainable and changes your life for the long haul. It all starts with your mindset and then trickles down to your food, your sleep, your movement, and more.
If you focus on making small changes over time, you are much more likely to change your life in a big way down the road. It creates consistency and habits, which will keep you working even when life throws its unexpected stressors at you.
More info on Dr. Mimi Secor
- Dr. Mimi Secor Website
- Dr. Mimi Secor on Facebook
- Dr. Mimi Secor on Instagram
- To download her App, text “DrMimi” to 36260
- Dr. Mimi Secor, Nurse Practitioner, National Speaker/ Educator, a #1 International Best-selling Author, and a Health Coach.
- She has worked for 45 years as a Family Nurse Practitioner specializing in Women’s Health and more recently Health and Fitness.
- She is Senior Faculty w/ Advanced Practice Education Associates (APEA) Lafayette, LA
- In 2015, Dr. Secor earned her Doctorate in Nursing Practice (DNP) degree from Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions (RMUoHP) in Provo, Utah.
- And is now serving on the Board of Trustees at Rocky Mountain University (RMUoHP).
- She is a Fellow in BOTH the American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP) and the American Academy of Nursing (AAN).
- Dr Secor has also published extensively, including her NEW #1 Best-Selling book, “Healthy and Fit at Any Age” currently available at; www.healthyandfitatanyage.com
- 2018 (4th edition) co-authored textbook, Advanced Health Assessment of Women; Skills and Procedures, and her
- 2018 (2nd edition) co-authored textbook, Fast Facts About the Gynecologic Exam for Nurse Practitioners, PAs and Midwives- both by Springer Publishing.
- She has rec’d several awards (for her contributions to the NP profession) including the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Massachusetts Coalition of NPs (MCNP)
- And in 2019 she received the Outstanding Alumnus Award from Rocky Mountain University.
- Dr. Mimi Secor is in business with her daughter (a Pro BodyBuilder, Trainer and Health Coach), as “Coach Kat and Dr Mimi” helping people become Healthy and Fit. They offer a variety of online programs including a new weight loss program.
- She has years of media experience including as a national radio host on ReachMD (still current).
- She is a frequent guest on various media outlets nationally, internationally and is quoted in numerous articles. She has given dozens of interviews during the pandemic.
- Highlights include; Good Morning America, interviewed by US News and World Report, the Wall Street Journal, the Boston Globe, Reader’s Digest, AARP, NBC and FOX TV and many others.
- After losing weight and becoming healthy during her doctoral program, a year later in 2016, she was in her 1st bodybuilding competition, making her “Debut at Age 62” and in 2018 she placed 2nd in her fourth competition.
Are you a subscriber to the Fit is Freedom Podcast? Thank you! If not, subscribe so you never miss an episode. You’ll be the first to know when bonus episodes are added. Click here to subscribe in iTunes!
Also, I would be truly grateful if you left me a review on iTunes. It makes my day to read them. From the Podcasts app, just click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review,” and let me know what you love and what you want to hear more of. Thank you!